Roof Cleaning FAQ
What is Moss, algae and lichen?
- Mosses are small flowerless plant life that form dense green clumps, most often in shady or damp locations.
- Algae – The most common class of roof algae is Gloeocapsa magma, a bacterium that eats water and expels oxygen. It causes the black stains you may see on your roof. The black stains are build-ups of algae that can prevent the sun from burning off the bacteria.
- Roof lichen is a combination of both algae and fungus.
- All the above are often caused by an accumulation of mildew, mould, dirt, or defective shingles.
Is moss bad for my roof?
- Moss can severely damage the structural integrity of any roof. Although unattractive, it has the potential to cause water damage. The moss absorbs the moisture from the damp environment and establishes roots on your roof causing roof degradation from the roof being persistently damp. The roots of the moss can lift-up tiles and the constant moisture can lead to bacteria and mould growth. This can eventually lead to holes in your roof and leaks in your home due to the moisture seeping through and causing water damage to your roof timbers.
- Another concern is the blockage of drains and guttering. As the moss comes loose it can fall into the guttering, which can eventually lead to a build up of the plant and cause drips and add pressure to the guttering system.
How do you access my roof?
- As gutter and roof cleaning specialists we take the health and safety of our employees, customers, and clients very seriously. We have many types of accessible methods available including ladders, harness equipment and scaffolding. The most common method used to access a roof is the traditional way, ladders. Gaining access to your roof safely isn’t a problem using this method but can depend on the height and access of the property. Upon assessing a property our technicians can decide which method is most suitable.
Do you have public liability insurance?
- Definitely! The Gutter Cleaning People would not offer a service to customers without the correct insurance in place.
- We have full public liability insurance for up to £5,000,000. A copy of this certificate is available on request.
Are you HSE compliant?
- Yes! The Gutter Cleaning People pride ourselves on providing fully trained and experienced staff in the use of safety access equipment along with basic first aid training making the job safe and secure.
- We take pride in our work and in what we do and will always ensure to leave a customer fully satisfied and happy with service provided.
For more information on this service please feel free to contact us on 0118 933 6983.